Broadly speaking, fuel oil is any liquid fuel that is burned in a furnace or boiler for the generation of heat or used in an engine for the generation of power, except oils having a flash point of approximately 42 oC (108 oF) and oils burned in cotton or wool-wick burners. Fuel oil is made of long hydrocarbon chains, particularly alkanes, cycloalkanes and aromatics. Fuel oil may also be referred to as heavy oil, marine fuel or furnace oil. It is a fraction obtained from crude oil distillation, either as a distillate or a residue.
Mazut is a residual fuel oil often derived from Russian Crude Oil sources and is either blended with lighter petroleum fractions or burned directly in specialized boilers and furnaces. It is also used as a petrochemical feedstock.
Bunker Fuels which are also referred to as Marine fuels come in various classifications. The more popular are: - IFO 380 - Intermediate fuel oil with a maximum viscosity of 380 centistokes (<3.5% sulphur)
- IFO 180 - Intermediate fuel oil with a maximum viscosity of 180 centistokes (<3.5% sulphur)
- LS 380 - Low-sulphur (<1.0%) intermediate fuel oil with a maximum viscosity of 380 centistokes
- LS 180 - Low-sulphur (<1.0%) intermediate fuel oil with a maximum viscosity of 180 centistokes
- MDO - Marine diesel: roughly equivalent to No. 2 fuel oil, made from distillate only oil
- MGO - Marine gasoil: this is a blend of heavy gasoil that contains very small amounts of black refinery feedstocks, but has a low viscosity up to 12 cSt so it need not be heated for use in internal combustion engines
- LSMGO - Low-sulphur (<0.1%) Marine Gas Oil - This is the fuel used in EU Ports and Anchorages. In accordance to EU Sulphur directive 2005/33/EC
- ULSMGO - Ultra-Low-Sulphur Marine Gas Oil - referred to as Ultra-Low-Sulfur Diesel (sulphur 0.0015% max) in the US and Auto Gas Oil (sulphur 0.001% max) in the EU. Maximum sulphur allowed in US territories and territorial waters (inland, marine and automotive) and in the EU for inland use.
RNGS supplies the various types of Fuel Oil, based on Clients' demand.